How do you do? Quick post coming up –
The technique I use to take care of my hair is pretty much still the same as what I outlined in this popular post, this one too, and this wash-day technique. However, there’s a couple of products I’ve been using that I haven’t talked about on this blog but have mentioned here and there on my Instagram/Facebook channels.
P.S. This is not a review and is not sponsored. I just prefer to keep my journey transparent to my followers 🙂
- Complete conditioning co-wash; Deep Treatment Masque; & Twist and Lock Gel
- “Smooth and Silky” Salon Silk conditioner
- Eco-chic line: Direct Leave-In conditioner
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a product junkie, my purchases are based on quality of product, research, and what my hair needs at that time.
BACKGROUND: I was on Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Color Me Happy for conditioners. I also used these very conditioners to co-wash. Since I moved to SA, they weren’t the easiest to find. For some time, I would get family or friends coming from Canada/Kenya to bring me some = ISSUE. Sometimes I’d forget to replenish then run out and other times, Herbal Essences would be nowhere to be found in Nairobi (I have family in Kenya). So I said goodbye to Herbal Essences! *cries* FYI To my Not-In-Africa followers, natural hair products on the continent have been very scarce. Only in the past 2 years or so have I personally seen a wave of new local natural hair brands, and imports of those from popular US on the shelves. (I oughta talk about this some time ey?)
The most consistent product I could get to SA that I absolutely loved [and was readily available in Nairobi – (at Nakumatt)] was the full Cantu range. SA peeps, as you may have heard IT’S NOW AVAILABLE AT DISCHEM!
So why Cantu? The ingredients and exclusions are amazeballs.
- There is NO MINERAL OIL, SULFATES, PARABENS, SILICONES, PHTHALATES, GLUTEN, PARAFFIN or PROPYLENE.
- Infused with 15+ natural butters & oils
- How my hair likes it: I NO LONGER USE SHAMPOO – I left that world completely. It’s not necessary and it’s drying. The co-wash cleanses and removes build-up without stripping moisture out of the hair, leaving it moisturized after a wash. I also cleanse with ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar). Explained here why. It’s the bomb.com.
DEEP TREATMENT MASQUE
- Ingredient exclusions same as above
- Penetrates deep into the hair shaft for an intense treatment to repair and replenish dry, damaged hair
- How my hair likes it: I used to either make home-made conditioners or use the ORS hair mayonnaise. Nothing went wrong here, I just decided to stay in one product line (and I’m too busy to make my own), AAAAND the Cantu treatment smells better! hihi My hair really does feel replenished, moisturized and strong after each treatment.
TWIST & LOCK GEL
- Ingredient exclusions same as above
- Controls frizz for a silky smooth hold when styling with perm-rods or for regular twist-outs.
- How my hair likes it: I love it on ‘old’ dry hair (i.e. day 5 hair). I can’t add products that are too water based on my stretched dry hair ( = mega shrinkage and I’m not about that life). This product allows me to refresh an old perm-rod set or twist-out by applying just enough to moisturize and make the hair pliable.
- I’m not absolutely picky with the conditioner I use to detangle. When I detangle I use REDICulous amounts of conditioner to completely drench and create slip for my fingers and Denman brush to go through my hair with ease. When I pick a conditioner, I just make sure to watch out for the key words – “smooth, moisture, dry, damaged”. These products are normally perfect for creating that slip, and that’s what this “Silky Smooth” product does for me. The bottle is huge and I can use it for a quite a number of detangles. (I used to detangle with Herbal Essences, but you know, availability issue).
- WHO hasn’t heard about this GOD of leave-ins huh? The all mighty Giovanni direct-leave in conditioner! Popular naturalista YouTubers’ reviews have you feeling like you are missing out on LYYYYFFFF with this product lmao!!! 😀 😀 I have resisted until now – I was getting annoyed at my hair drying out fast between wash days. I needed to prolong the days between – so I needed the “C” in the LOCO method to be ON POINT. I finally decided to hunt for it. I got my bottles from Canada BUT SA peeps you’ll be happy to know they have it on this online store.
- It’s ECO friendly, certified organic with 100% vegetarian ingredients with a lovely host of yummy oils and extracts. No parabens, no sulfates.
- How my hair likes it: It definitely gives me prolonged moisture and VOLUME. So much body omg. The increased body was immediately identifiable when I took my perm-rods out, a bit nuts. I almost didn’t like the EXTRA moisture because my curls would not come out as defined for some reason. Something’s gotta give ey. Well, I just eliminate it when I’m really feeling for a super defined rod-set. Def recommend it!
WELL, THAT’S ALL FOLKS!
Hope this answers all your questions about what’s going on my head at the mo. Other than the above, I’m still using the same oils etc. that I mentioned in my main hair posts. This one, this one, and this one! 😀 😀 If you have any questions, drop a comment below. Don’t forget to leave your email in the subscription box so you don’t miss the next post. I plan on being extra consistent with updates this year! 😉